As of July 2017, the “average” page weight is 3MB. @Tammy wrote an excellent blog post about HTTP Archive page stats and trends. Last year @igrigorik published an analysis on page weight using CDF plots. And of course, we can view the trends over time on the HTTP Archive trends page. Since this is all based on HTTP Archive data, I thought I’d start a thread here to continue the discussion on how to gauge the increase in page weight over time.
You may not think about it much, but fonts play a critical role in how quickly a web page renders. Custom font usage has increased steadily over the past six years, and as of this writing, 68% of sites in the HTTP Archive use at least one custom font. Continue reading
I worked on an interesting performance investigation recently, and I wanted to share some of the techniques I used to dig in and isolate the problem.
It all started when a customer informed me that they rolled back an HTTP/2 configuration push because it caused significant slowdowns on their site. And by significant they meant a greater than one minute delay in render time!
As with many performance troubleshooting efforts, I started with WebPageTest to get an idea of what was causing the delays. I then dug deeper with a variety of additional tools and techniques. This particular issue turned out to be caused by a really interesting bug in the Chrome browser, which was recently patched.
As web developers, we want to give our users the best possible experience, and so we tend to focus on how fast the page loads. In a recent blog post here, Flattening the Earth: Testing and Improving Content Delivery, the author uses WebPageTest to test how fast a page loads in various environments. But page loading speed alone doesn’t give us the full picture on the user’s experience.